Tuesday, August 7, 2007

number 21

Podcasts....can be annoying and useful! I've been a fan of them for several years now, since they are a great way to find information on something, and listen to various broadcasts, etc., that you might have missed in other searches. The problem is finding them...and I was not really thrilled with the directories given. I tried a search (with variations) on Tut and the exhibit that is in the US right now, since I'm going up there next weekend. The ONLY directory that had anything was the yahoo directory, and yet I had already viewed several prior to this, so I know they are out there. I found that I did almost as well by doing a plain ol' google search for them. The one good difference in using the directories is that ALL you get are podcasts, instead of podcasts and queries about finding a podcast! I think I like the yahoo best of the three given, since it allows you to search for series and episodes as well, and will also give you that "did you mean" feedback in the same way google does...and that can lead you to other directions. I do think the search styles could be better, since I tended to get the same hits using King Tut in quotes as I did when I just entered the words...there is no way to really search for a phrase.

Now....how can libraries use podcasts? Personally, I believe these could be a great asset to a library...everything from book discussions to various types of programs and speakers, to make these things more accessible and visible to people, as well as making them available to homebound people who might want to come to some things, but are unable to.

No comments: